Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Tuesday June 12: Chinese Takeout "New York Style"




Hard work calls for early mornings and late nights. Sometimes you go all day and realize you haven’t eaten.  

Its late at night, which means it’s too dangerous to walk the streets of Harlem, New York, so what’s a better way to satisfy your appetite with Chinese takeout (sarcasm)? Personally I’m not a fan of Chinese Restaurants, unless its P.F. Chang or Panda Express. 

I took a look at the menu, which was given to me by the front desk security of City Towers. There were so many items it was unbelievable, from Egg Drop Soup, Fried Rice, Seafood and more. The look on my face as I read the menu was unpleasing because of my bad experiences with Chinese Takeout. Front desk security, also a New York native, insisted that China Place was the best. 

Don’t get me wrong, I’m all up for trying new things but this was going to be a challenge. As my stomachs begin to growl I knew I had to either suck it up and order or starve. One of the resident assistants on duty agreed that this was really good Chinese food too. I told her how I’m from the south and how we don’t have any good Chinese spots. She than said the Chinese food up north is way different.

I called China Place, and asked, “Do you guys serve white meat chicken?” that’s always my biggest concern when eating Chinese food. Well, that left me the option of Sweet and Sour Chicken and Egg Fried Rice.

About 45 minutes later, the Asian Delivery Guy shows up to the dorm with my food along with other members from the Reid Group. The total together was $39 with everyone’s food. We all pulled out the exact amount and he kept mumbling the word “No change?” I was confused so I counted the money in front of him to confirm it was the right amount.  So he stared at me until I finally realized he wanted a tip. I didn’t have any change so I asked Destinee if she a couple dollars and the look on his face was so ungrateful.

As he left, front desk security and a few New York residents laughed saying,  “You never suppose to give a tip.” “New Yorkers don’t tip Chinese Takeout!”

At the moment I knew I still had some learning to do about this city. The food wasn’t too shabby either.

I’ll definitely order again, but this time no tip!

   ✌ ❤-Demeshia Jackson


No comments:

Post a Comment