Monday, June 11, 2012

Monday June 11: What I saw today in New York City....


June 11, 2012 was the first day of work for the Reid Group. Many emotions were running through my mind as I anticipated this moment.  I set my alarm clock at 3 different times, 6:30 a.m., 7:05 a.m. and 7:30 a.m. just to make sure I had a sufficient amount of time to make it to my destination by 9:00a a.m.

Each member of the Reid Group made it to the lobby, professionally dressed, positive attitudes and ready to begin our journey.

The night before we had a survival orientation, and one of the key points addressed was to walk the city of New York like we had a purpose. With our bags on our hips and a focused look, no one could tell us anything. We were ready to conquer anything NY threw at us.

I guess I spoke to soon.

As we arrived to the train station we constantly checked our phones for the time, which read 8:30 a.m. This left us plenty time to still make it to NBC Universal Studios on time. The plan was to get to the station early incase we ran into any mishaps.  Well, getting our Metro Card is where we encounter our first obstacle. There was an issue with someone’s card so we came together as team to collect change to buy a 1-day pass. Like Clark Atlanta University’s model “I’ll find away or make one,” we were all determined to get to NBC on time.

We continued down stairs to get on our train but somehow we ended splitting up. I was told so many stories about the New York Subway and how confusing it can be. I can testify to that statement with my first experience riding the train.  I ended up getting on the wrong train heading Uptown with 3 other Reid Group Members. 

Immediately we hopped off the wrong train to find the correct one which took 10 extra minutes. 
I definitely took this situation as a learning experience to become more aware of the New York Subway. 

What a way to start my first day... but what I saw in New York City is how time waits for no one, especially on the subway.

   ✌ ❤-Demeshia Jackson





No comments:

Post a Comment