Sunday, June 17, 2012

Friday June 15: My Adventure to Get Ice


Instead of going to the much talk about southern restaurant Melbas in Harlem, the Reid Group decided to order in pizza and have a girls talk initiated by Ms. Reid.

In order to have a successful internship experience, it’s important for the Reid Group to be on one accord. We are the first group of ladies to be apart of the Reid Group Class at Clark Atlanta University (CAU) and granted the opportunity to be apart of this amazing internship.

So after a long, hard day of work at our internships, we were hungry for some good food. My responsibility was to look for some delicious pizza places that delivered to the dorm. I looked up 5 places based on the reviews on Google and Yelp. I came across a place called Tom’s Delicious Pizza, the name alone was convincing enough. I shared with the group the places I found and we all agreed to put our trust in Tom’s.

Than I realized, “Oh wait!” “Don’t we need something to drink to wash the pizza down with?” Than Ms. Reid asked for someone to got to the corner store and grab drinks. Not every one volunteered at once,  I put my head down to try to  avoid going because I literally just came from Target in Brooklyn, caught 2 trains (the A Train and 1 Train) , and carried 3 bags with a case of water. My arms were so numb, I was drenched in sweat, and was looking forward to go back outside for the rest of the day.

Next thing you know, my name was called by Ms. Reid to go grab the drinks. Luckily I had a few people to walk with me because as easy it sounds it was challenge all because we needed ice. The plan was to grab everything at the corner store of 129th street and Saint Nicholas Ave. This store had any and every drink you could imagine but ran out of ice. So we just grab the drinks and cups there and headed down on 129th a tad bit further to another store and guess what? No ice. We continued to walk because I knew that walking back to the dorm 10 minutes later with just cups and warm drinks was the answer. So as we headed down the street, I just kept hearing Ms. Reid voice saying, “Demeshia, I don’t take no for an answer and you shouldn’t either,” “What’s CAU’s motto?”

Therefore I was motivated to get that ice! We went to a gas station, where we saw an ice cream truck and asked the driver if he had any ice we could buy. The only ice he had was prepared snow cones and that was not going to work.  We were so tired because we went to every corner store nearby; it was getting late, any everyone kept calling because they were concern.  Than I realized it was one more store that we have yet to go in. As soon as we opened the door I just blurted out, “Do you guys sell Ice?” and thank God they had a freezer full of ice for $2.50 per bag. So we grab the bag and threw in the basket while speed walking the rest of the way home.

Finally we arrived with the drinks, of course everyone wanted to know why it took so long (laughing), I just know that I wasn’t taking “No” for an answer.  We all ate our Tom’ Delicious Pizza, enjoyed our drinks (with ice), and  had a great time.

✌ ❤-Demeshia Jackson

No comments:

Post a Comment