Saturday, June 23, 2012

Friday June 22- Melba's

I've been in NY going on 3 weeks and I've yet to have a good southern home-cooked meal. Usually I'm always up for cooking great dishes, but working hard at this internship spares me little to no time to throw down in the kitchen. I love to cook, that's one of my passions and I'm actually really good at it too.

Ms. Reid constantly told me how great Melba's is and they're the true epitome of "Soul Food." Last week the Reid Group and I were suppose to have dinner there but plans were cancelled and ever since I just had a craving for it. So I made reservations because of how popular Melba's is the wait to get a table can take forever. We caught the C train from 127th St Nicholas Terrace to 116 st which is only 1 stop; Melba's isn't far from the dorms at all. We walked 2 blocks to 114st and to the left hand side was a very small, intimate, classy restaurant known as Melba's. I couldn't imaging make a reservation for 11 people because we would have practically filled up the entire restaurant.  There are about no more that 25 chairs in Melba's so we were sitting pretty tight.

I grabbed the menu, which is very simple and straight to the point. The menu was long, skinny, and two sided. It was easy for me to decide what I wanted for dinner because of the simple menu, I wasn't confused. I order the Smothered Fried Chicken, the most talked about Tres Mac and Cheese and Candied Yams. My mouth drooled as I waited in anticipation for some southern comfort food. Within 20 minutes the food arrived and it looked delicious, despite how was missing a wing, the waitress took care of that really quick. After one bite, I was sold. Everything was so fresh, hot, and well seasoned. My plate was squeaky clean after I finished eating. Sometimes being a good cook yourself can cause you to be a tough critic, but everything was appetizing. So my review for Melba's would have to be an A- only because our waitress spent 15 minutes trying to split the check.

There were so many rules and regulations that we were unaware of about paying for our food. You can't split the check between 3 or more people, you have to pay with cash if your food is $19 or less, and you can use more than 3 credit when splitting the check. I was so confused and ready to go after the situation. I mean the waitress literally told us she don't know how to split and so she left the check for us to figure out how much we want to pay. Again, this was ridiculous to the point where I'm pulling out my tip calculator to figure out how much my bill would be including the 20% gratuity. This issue happen to me before a while back, and I realized how many resturansts don't emphasize the importance of knowing how to add or subtract. Basic mathematical skills will help prevent incidents like messing someones bill up.

Although we had a minor problem, the waitress was able to fix to where we finally got sperate checks. Will this hinder me from coming back to Melba's? No way! But I would advise everyone to bring cash.

✌ ❤-Demeshia Jackson

No comments:

Post a Comment