Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Monday June 25: Working as Ms. Reid’s Assistant


Remember the film The Devils Wears Prada, where an inexperienced young woman comes to New York as the assistant to one of the most well known magazine editor, the hardcore Miranda Priestly?

Well my experience as Ms. Reid assistant is not as exaggerated as the film, yet mirrors some of the same situations Andy Sachs, played Anne Hathaway went through. As an assistant to someone who is renowned in the media industry such as Ms. Reid teaches you to have tough skin, a humble spirit, and mind of a perfectionist. When I was granted the opportunity to have an eleven spot in the Reid Group, my heart skipped a beat and my eyes began to fill with tears of joy because knowing that Ms. Reid had faith in me proved that I was capable of interning in New York.  I would never forget the words, “Its something about you, like you’re destined for greatness,” and “I believe this internship would benefit you,” she said over the phone.

What separate Ms. Reid from Miranda Priestly are her sweet spirit and her passion in helping others. Don’t get me wrong; Ms. Reid doesn’t play when it comes to assignments, deadlines, and not taking “No” for an answer, but her motherly nature and southern hospitality makes you love her even more.

As an assistant, I’m constantly working closely with Ms. Reid while quietly observing her characteristics. I believe it’s important to learn as much as possible about the person you are working because it will show that you are considerate and serious about the job. Before the internship begun, I was assigned different task via email from Ms. Reid, therefore I was prepare to come to New York. In order to be a successful assistant you have to understand that communication is the key to everything. I carry my phone close to where I can hear it because I’m always receiving back-to-back emails and text messages. I am the liaison between Ms. Reid and the Reid Group.

Working for Ms. Reid isn’t easy but tough love to shape me for the real word of media.

Thank you Ms. Reid,
  -Demeshia Jackson

No comments:

Post a Comment