Sunday, June 24, 2012

Saturday June 23: Live Shots


          This Saturday was the most anticipated day this throughout week as I reflected back on my previous live shot training and thought about different ways I can improve.  Earlier that morning the Reid Group and I gathered together at NBC Universal Studios to watch our live shots from last Saturday. I was so nervous to see myself, as I was fearful of looking a mess on camera. I was the third person to go during the live shots, and when I popped up next on the screen in the conference room, all I could think about was how great Mr. Nelson was a the cameraman. The lighting was perfect and I looked amazing I camera.  But when I opened my mouth to begin to talk, I immediately turned red in embarrassment. I understand this was my first time, however I could have delivered so much better. The obvious mistake was the way I held a microphone; it was extremely to close to my mouth as if I were to practically eat it.  Also controlling my nerves on camera was another issue for me, because it distracted my thought process to where I ran out of things to say.
Ms. Reid kindly critiqued the footage and individually suggested techniques to help us as we continued practicing live shots.


            The Reid Group and I headed to Central Park, which is a main attraction in New York, to practice our live shots. This only meant more people and more attention.  Throughout the week we met with Soledad O’Brien who mentioned two strong tips while preparing for a live shot, talk into the camera as if you were talking to your mom and blocking out every distraction possible. There were so many people taking pictures, asking question, and jumping into the shot as were reporting out live shots.  The struggle to control my nerves this time was intense as I began to over think how I wanted to deliver on camera.  One moment I would change my story and than I would go back add to the original story, I was so discombobulated. I no longer wanted to referrer to my note pad, so this time I just braced myself and winged.

            I was a tad a bit nervous again, but I was able to control most of my nerves and saw improvement in my live shot. I knew what I wanted to say; I delivered to where my audience received the most important information. I felt better about my live shot performance this Saturday and I will continue to forward to my progression during this internship.

  ✌ ❤-Demeshia Jackson

No comments:

Post a Comment