Sunday, July 15, 2012

Believe The Unimaginable.








            Can you imagine 5 years ago, I was a junior at Richardson High School? I was enrolled in the communication magnet program, where I discovered my love for mass media arts.
             Richardson High had several magnet programs from, culinary, law, theater, science, and math. Being in the magnet program gives students the advantage to be prepared for his or her major in college.  The communication magnet was an opportunity to learn the basic knowledge on how to operate a newsroom. With a student ran, news show, called Eagle Eye, students in their junior year were able to participate in this program.  Just like any professional newscast, students were required to audition for roles such as: anchor, reporter, producer, director, and cameraman or woman.  Since my freshman year, I became loyal fan of the show and wanted to become the next reporter. There were about 12 students (including myself) in the communications program, and only two spots for reporters. The audition tape requirement was a two to three minute news package about any topic, and the deadline was 7 days. My nerves were filled with excitement as I began to plan out my ideas.  My story was about the latest dance moves for the upcoming the senior prom. With major support from my teachers, classmates, and close friends, I was able to pull of an entertaining and informative package with no camera or editing experience.  The only thing left to do, was patiently wait for the current Eagle Eye crew to vote for the best video. Several days passed by, and the announcement was made that Amanda Gonzales and I received the most votes. I screamed in astonishment because my passion and determination had paid off, but not for too long. My dream was shot down with the most awful news from my communication teacher, Mr. Morton. I will never forget the day when he expressionlessly, stared me in my eyes and said, “I made the final decision to give Jackie the role as reporter instead, because I don’t think you are capable for this big responsibility.” My eyes swelled up with tears because I couldn’t believe this could happen to me. I constantly begged for a chance to prove to him I could handle the position, but he firmly stood on his word.  My dignity wouldn’t let me go down without a fight so I demanded for a parent/teacher conference that was lead by the assistant principal. Mr. Morton had no intentions in changing his mind, and told my mother that he was worried about my ability in completing the packages on time. The pain and frustration was agonizing because my mother and I knew that there was nothing that could be done. Instead, Mr. Morton “sympathetically” offered me the position as camerawoman while occasionally filling in as a reporter if someone’s sick. I took the offer and worked twice as hard to prove that I was good enough. Unfortunately, I was overlooked and the thought of being a reporter was never discussed. 
            For a quite a while, that memory had discouraged me from ever wanting to be in front of the camera. I grew comfortable to work behind the scenes with permanent scars of Mr. Morton’s negative words. I could never imagine being on air-talent, so I made myself believe that I wanted my entire career to be at the rear of the camera. But Sunday, sparked something different, a skill that I thought I never had.
            Early that morning, we headed to NBC Studios to prepare for reading news briefs off a teleprompter.  Deep inside, I struggled to control my nerves, trying to avoid the dreadful memories of Mr. Morton.  My hands were shaky and I began to take intense breaths as rehearsed my script. While walking to the studio, it was now time faces my fears. Surprisingly, a random act of confidence came over me as I raised my hand to volunteer to go first. I sat in anchor’s chair and saw my face on enormous television screen behind the camera. This was a new experience for me; I couldn’t stop staring at how amazing I looked. I briefly glanced over my script while I was directed by a countdown, “5…4…3…2 and a silent 1.”  Wow, I could believe it! My whole persona changed, my voice deepened and I commanded my presence, I realized that this is something that really enjoyed. As I ended my news brief, everyone in the studio applauded and gave meaningful gestures on my performance.
            That feeling will forever be unforgettable and finally my scars can be healed with my accomplishment.  


-Demeshia Jackson

3 comments:

  1. This is awesome DJ! A great testimony of how no matter what man says, its all about what God has for you. I will be sharing this link. I am very very proud of you. Great things are DJ, Great things.

    ReplyDelete