Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Meeting the "Original" 106 And Park Host!



     12 years ago, I would rush home everyday right after school, just to tune into my favorite hip-hop show, 106 And Park.
    


     The original hosts, A.J. Calloway and Marie “Free” Wright brought a new flava to BET.  They each had their own unique style, a genuine connection to their guest and audience, and amazing energy. 106 And Park was innovative avenue to learn about new artist, hot videos, and undiscovered talent. My favorite thing about the show was Freestyle Fridays; I enjoyed watching different rappers around the world compete for a title because it was something I’ve never seen before.  When it came to interviewing celebrities, A.J. and Free were natural reporters at precisely delivering the information. The bond that they had amongst each other was so sincere and authentic. From the jokes and side flirting, A.J. and Free brought something special to 106 that could never be replaced. Most importantly, they made every episode personal as if you were actually at the studio sitting in the front row.  A.J. and Free have always been one of my top entertainment correspondents, and meeting them in person would be a dream come true.
     Again, being in the Reid Group comes with endless opportunities. After constantly begging Ms. Reid to meet A.J., she surprised us by having him be our guest speaker today. I was so excited to hear the great news; I couldn’t believe my dream was actually happening. The moment handsome, 6’4, nicely dressed A.J. walked through the door, my heart melted. Everything felt so surreal as he sat a crossed from me at the rear end of the table. There were so many questions and random thoughts roaming in my head at once, and at any moment my body was going to explode in exhilaration.  Before we began questions and answers, he mentioned that he had less than hour to talk because he had a previous engagement to attend. I was little heartbroken, until he offered to come back and speak with us again. He briefly talked about his experiences in the media industry, referring to it as a tough business and living by the acronym IBM (Information Becomes Money) as motivation. 
     A.J. definitely has a swagger like no other, and the little time I had to spend with him, changed my life forever.
    

-Demeshia Jackson

No comments:

Post a Comment