Tuesday, July 24, 2012

The True Meaning of Friendship


            As I grow older I realize that many friends will come and go. My mother always told me “That people are purposely in your life for a certain season.” 
      Well, I have been through so many friends that I never understood the purpose of considering someone a “best- friend.” The term “best” defines the most excellent, effective, and desirable. I frequently questioned what makes that one specific person out of all my friends the “best.” Each of my close friends has a different characteristic that makes them individually unique. At times, I may tend to give one of them more attention than others, but that does not determine their level of importance.
      As an only child for 13 years, I never understood how it felt to have a sibling relationship, so I truly valued my friendships with many people.  Also, I was always an independent person, which prevented me from having codependency issues. I avoided getting too attached to people by labeling them “best friends” because at some point friends will come and go, people will change, so that you can learn to let go.
      I’m beyond blessed for the people who are in my life today and I’m thankful to experience an awesome internship with some of them. 

-Demeshia Jackson


No comments:

Post a Comment