Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Pick Your Battles





      “My dear brothers and sisters, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry.” - James 1:19 (New International Version)

      For the duration of this week I will be deeply mediating on this scripture before I enter the doors of ABC in the every morning. Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy working on the Tom Joyner Morning Show with Ms. Reid, but there is this one ABC employee that is very difficult to work with. I understand that there will be times in a person’s career where he/she will have to deal with different personalities, and these past couple of days definitely prepared me for that.

      Everyday at ABC, we are required to have a guest username and password to get on the Internet. However, getting them is the challenge. Now I know you’re probably thinking this is the simplest task on earth, but ABC’s technician makes my job a lot harder than what’s required. So, on the first day I was given one sheet with one username and password that was suppose to work for everyone’s computer, but only two people were granted access. After one more attempt, an error message popped up on my screen that read, “There are multiple computers that have used this login already.” It was now less than five minutes before the Tom Joyner Morning show was about to air, and Ms. Reid still didn’t have a WiFi-connection. I immediately made my way to the technician’s office to get the correct information.

      As soon as I walked through the door, I was greeted by an annoyed expression and a silent hello. He constantly moved from one side of the room to another, working from several machines that send feedback to different ABC networks across United States. Than he asked, “Um… is there something I can help you with?” I told him about the issue and he complained about how this situation is irrelevant to his job, why we weren’t given this information earlier, and how he HATES MAC computers. I stood calmly and patiently waited for him as finished venting to get what I came for. I sincerely thanked him, referring to him as sir because he never gave me his name. He rudely responded, “‘Sir’ is for knights and my name is ‘Jim.’” I glanced back at him, took a deep breath and smiled, saying, “Okay, Thanks Jim.”

      I realized that being in a situation like that; it’s best not to entertain it. Instead, I pick my battles wisely and not let it interfere with my work ethic.

 

-Demeshia Jackson



-Demeshia Jackson

No comments:

Post a Comment