Monday, July 16, 2012

What A Long Day...



 
            Eyes bloody red, constant yawning, and my energy level have now officially reached “E.”

            I’ve been working non-stop for the past 13 hours. This week Ms. Reid is filling in for radio personality, Sybil as a co-host on the Tom Joyner Morning Show. Well if you have little knowledge about morning radio, than you are aware that a career in this field requires a person to be up at the crack a dawn. I set my alarm for 4:00 a.m., so that I could prepare for my arrival at ABC studios by 5:00 a.m. Well, my plans to be in bed by midnight failed, I had so much work to accomplish and didn’t go to sleep till 3:00 a.m.. The struggle to wake up from that kiddy nap and not hit the snooze button was torturous. There was no sun peaking through my window this morning, so my mind kept playing tricks on me, thinking that its still nighttime. I eventually gathered enough willpower to hop out of my bed and quickly got dressed. Two other members of the Reid Group, Ciara Campbell and Michelle Russell also had to wake up early to work on the show. We met each other outside the dorms, the weather was very wet, humid, and misty from last night showers. This depressing climate was no helping in putting us in a rejuvenated mood. The looks on our faces, screamed the word “EXHAUSTED,” as we quietly waited for our cab driver. Short, and life-less conversation; we were too tired to communicate words that would make sense. I check my phone for the time, it was now 4:40 a.m. and signs of a cab drive nearby. After making three calls to the Luxury Cab Service Company, an old black Lincoln pulls up to the corner of Covenant Ave and West 130th  St. The driver who could barely speak English mentioned how he was confused and lost. With no time for small talk, I rushed in the car and demanded a discount. He agreed to knock down $2 from the $17 quoted price. There was no traffic that early in the day, so we made it to ABC exactly at 5:00 a.m. on the dot. Shortly after Ms. Reid arrived, we all headed to the studio to prep for an exciting morning show. 6 o’clock came around the corner and it was now time for Ms. Reid to hit the air with Tom Joyner and J. Anthony. 
            The segment was filled with laughs and good conversation, from guest celebrities such as singer, Brandy Norwood, actress, Tesha Campbell, and producer, Will packer. As the hour reached 9:45 a.m. the show finally came to an end. There wasn’t enough coffee in the world that could keep my body awake, but tuning into the show from producer standpoint was worth the experience.  Now I have to figure out a better plan to be well rested, wake up, and do it all over again for four more days.
            On that note, goodnight!!!
           
           


-Demeshia Jackson 

No comments:

Post a Comment