Monday, July 30, 2012

What A Southern Girl Needs!


      I’m a southern girl at heart, so my non-stop craving for soul food tortured me since my arrival to NYC.
      Ms. Reid talked a great heap about Melba’s and how amazing her southern cuisines are, so I gave it a try earlier in the program and it was pretty good, but it didn’t satisfy my southern taste buds. I had a taste for smothered chicken, and my two favorite sides: candied yams and baked macaroni and cheese. Therefore, I was on a hunt to find NY’s best soul-food spot.
Photo Courtesy of Yelp

Photo Courtesy of Yelp
      With Internet being the source of everything, I easily Googled, “Good, Soul-food, Harlem, New York” and a few places popped up.  Amy Ruth’s, on 113 West 116 street, was number one on the list.  I clicked Yelp’s URL to look at the reviews and pictures, and instantly my mouth began to water. Everything looked so scrumptious, but what made it even better, was that 4 stars was their lowest review. After reading the online menu, I had a general idea of what I was going to order. A majority of their items are named after well-known African Americans figures, like the Rev. Al Sharpoton, which is their famous chicken and waffles, or the Nate Robinson’s BBQ Spare Ribs. I decided to get the honorable President Barak Obama, Smothered Chicken, and two sides. Making my way to Amy Ruth’s, I knew I was in for a treat because of the celebrity clientele they attracted, from singer Alicia Keys, WNBC meteorologist, Janice Huff, former U.S. Presidents, Bill Clinton and George W. Bush and even the late Correta Scott King.        
      As I walked into the small, uniquely designed restaurant, I noticed how crowded it was, which was an excellent sign because that meant the food must be really good. I stood in line for about 10 minutes before I placed my order. There were so many people of different ethnicties enjoying a good southern meal and from the looks on their plates I wasn’t disappointed. With a 30 minute wait, I realized that at Amy Ruth’s, their entrees were cooked to order. Finally, the hostess called my name to pick up my food. She opened the Styrofoam To-Go Box to confirm my order and everything looked so perfect. I couldn’t wait to dive into that box full of deliciousness. When I took my first bite, I literally felt like I was sitting at my grandma’s kitchen again. The flavors were so powerful. Without a doubt, Amy Ruth’s pleased my southern palette and I was one happy camper!
      Sadly, I have less than a week in NY, but if I had to choose one last meal before I leave, it would definitely be Amy Ruth’s! 

-Demeshia Jackson
     

No comments:

Post a Comment