Saturday, July 14, 2012

Let's Try Something Different...

Today I rather write a poem....

Let my fingers do the talking...

Artistically express my thoughts and try something new. 




The bright, sun rays shine through my ginormous window, while slowly peaking behind the tall, brownstone buildings of Harlem.

Everyday around 5:00 a.m.; I call it my personal alarm clock.

I'm conditioned to do certain things in order when I wake up.

First, check my phone for the time and any missed calls or texts.

Second, look for any emails from Ms.Reid and email her the daily website info.

Last, set my second alarm for 7:35 a.m. and go back to sleep.

My mind never let me fully rest. Paranoid thoughts of missing something important.

So I toss and turn.

Periodically, checking my phone until I decide to call this tortuous game quits and just wake up.

This is everyday life for me in New York City.

I'm dressed.

I never put too much thought it what I'm wearing.

Just simple and cute... it comes naturally.

"Triple Check," is my new motto.

I make sure I have my most prized possessions with me:
 dorm access card, subway pass, iPod, and a positive attitude.

Now that's what I call being prepared to conquer the day. 

Speed-walking is what I quickly picked up.

It gets me to where I need to go in a timely matter.

I enter the horrid, pee-smelling station on 127th and Nicholas Terrace.

As much as I've took this train, my nose will never be immune to it.

Loud, clashing-sounds coming from the train tracks.

I run down the steps to see my train right on time.

The D-Train, to be exact.

Taking advantage of the last open seat, I plug in my headphones and take out my iPod.

Let the melody of Tori Kelly's Confetti put me in the mood.

My day has officially started.


-Demeshia Jackson





 





No comments:

Post a Comment