Monday, July 30, 2012

Closing This Chapter..



      Deep Sighs… I don’t even know where to begin without getting emotional as I write my final Reid Group blog. Struggling to hold  back tears as I sum up my experience in this post. This opportunity in New York was life changing. I can’t believe I have less than a week before I head back to Atlanta and prepare for my last year in school. I learned so much about myself within a two-month period; I’ve grown as person in such an unimaginable way.
      Working side by side as Ms. Reid’s assistant was definitely a challenge; she pushed me everyday to work harder, and to never take “No” as an answer. I will never forget my first task when the Reid Group and I arrived to the dorms; my duty was to find a copy machine. It was a Sunday, therefore Fed-Ex, Staples, and the Post Office closed early. I didn’t know what to do, so my reaction was to tell Ms. Reid that there was no way to make copies. She gave me this blank stare, and asked me, “What’s our institution’s motto?” and in sync we both replied, “I’ll find a way or make one.” From that moment, I knew that this internship had no room for excuses. Not only did this program give me the necessary skills to master the journalism world, but also a brand new mindset. I appreciate working non-stop for 8 weeks, it taught me how to value my time and to stay hungry for more. Being in this industry calls for early mornings and late nights, but if you want to be the best you have to stay a few steps ahead of your competition. 
      Watching Ms. Reid juggle many projects, from NY Live, Tom Joyner Morning Show: Inside Her Story, the Reid Group, and even her personal life, showed her impressive work ethic. Having her as a mentor enabled me to build a genuine relationship to where I could confide in her about any situation. Sitting in my room, reflecting on how I use to idolize her on BET Nightly News as a phenomenal journalist and now having an everlasting bond seems so surreal. I firmly believe the saying; “God works in mysterious ways” because being in this program was a blessing. I cannot thank Ms. Reid enough, for having faith in me and allowing me to have that extra spot in the program. Originally, the requirement is to have only 10 students to participate in this internship, but Ms. Reid saw my hunger and passion for the Reid Group.
      The Reid Group was more than just a group of students working together, but a true sisterhood. Of course we had our ups and downs, but the friendships created will be everlasting. Each lady had a uniqueness about her that brought that spark to this program; I couldn’t imagine sharing this experience with any other group of women. The memories will never be forgotten.
 
     
 

  



I could literally go on and on and write a book about my experiences in this program, but since it’s a blog I’ll keep it short (laughing out loud). I want to thank Terri Martin and Alesia Powell for supporting Ms. Reid throughout this entire program and helping decide which students could take part in. Also, to every speaker that volunteered their time to speak with the group, I appreciate you for inspiring us. I can’t forget my amazing writing coach, Chandra Lanier! You most certainly brought the best out of my writing skills and pushed me to improve daily (Your critiques never went unnoticed).
       Time to close this chapter in my life and flip to next page of new beginnings. Be on the lookout for the members of the Reid Group and what the future has in store for us. We are the next generation!!!!! 



-Demeshia Jackson

No comments:

Post a Comment