Monday, July 23, 2012

I Am My Toughest Critic


      Sometimes I find my self being my own toughest critic, and not realizing that perfection comes with time.
     
      Sunday we met at NBC Universal Studios, to practice using the teleprompter, but due the tragic shooting in Colorado, we weren’t able to have access to the equipment. Instead, we looked over our previous teleprompter footage with NBC’s phenomenal reporter, Pat Battles, Ms. Reid and NY Live Producer, Terri Martin. I volunteered first to read the teleprompter, so therefore I was the first one to be watched and critiqued. Mrs. Battles pressed the play button and there I was looking really stunning on camera, but it was very clear that I was nervous. Heavy breathing, and stiff movements, as I waited for the director’s countdown. When I heard that “silent one”, my words jetted right out of my mouth, I was reporting extremely fast. It was difficult to determine the breaks in between the different stories. I dreaded watching my entire performance because I was so upset about the minor mistakes I made. My expectations for myself are high because my passion is to ultimately be on Television and wow how I was so disappointed.
      After the worse two minutes of my life was over, Mrs. Battles made clear that she was not “critiquing,” but helping us to become the best. She allowed us to identify our own errors and think about how we would have performed differently. Of course, I was a bit dramatic when I said, “I was so horrible.” This was only my first time reading the teleprompter and according to Mrs. Battles, I did really impressive and flawlessness comes over time.
      I guess I was too hard on myself, but when you have the hunger to be the best there’s no room for slip-ups. However, that’s what internships are for, an opportunity to learn and grow.
-Demeshia Jackson

 

No comments:

Post a Comment