Monday, July 9, 2012

Is It Really Funny How Time Flies?


Motivational speaker, Michael Altshuler once said, “The bad news is time flies. The good news is you’re the pilot.”  Its crazy how you wake up and next thing you know the day is over in the blink of an eye. Sunday was a unusual day for me, only because I didn’t get back to my room till early that morning from Aleisha’s surprise party.  Going to sleep late, messed up my daily pattern in getting things done at a certain time.  I purposely increased the volume on my phone, set two alarms, and tucked the phone next to my pillow. Unfortunately, I woke up at noon just to see missed calls, text messages, and emails.  So, I instantly jumped up and to try and compose myself so that I can start my day.
         Time really outdid itself because every time I was completing an assignment, while periodically looking at the clock hours continue to rapidly pass.  Around 8:00 p.m. I had knocked out majority of things on my task; being in the Reid Group means work never ends so I can never phrase the statement, I finished everything.  I decided I would take advantage of the “little” time I had left and go the Whole Foods Market on 59th Street and Columbus to pick up a few things.  I headed to the train station and like typical the so-called Express D train didn’t arrive till 20 minutes later.  My goal was to spend no more than a hour in the Whole Foods, since I made a mental list, I had a general idea of what I was getting.  The struggle to make it out of that store was challenging because I made the most infamous decision to going grocery shop hungry. My mother always told me to never go the store on an empty stomach because you spend more money.  With the help of Sequoyah, I was able put certain items back as she convinced me saying, “We can always come back.”
         For the small amount of I stuff I purchased, I end up leaving the store spending roughly about $70. Eating healthy sure does come with a big price, but you get for what you pay for and I’m not paying for low quality groceries at these corner markets near Harlem.  
         Time management is crucial especially in the mass media industry and being apart of this internships has taught me to value my time.  “Regardless of what goes on around you, news is news and you have to meet every deadline,”  said Ms. Reid.

-Demeshia Jackson

No comments:

Post a Comment