Wednesday, July 11, 2012

The Struggle is Real.


Deep breaths as I inhale and exhale... today was a bit uneasy for me.
            I decided to go Whole Foods for the last time, after my visit from City MD Urgent Care. Yesterday, I had weird chest pains every time I laughed uncontrollably, so Ms. Reid insisted I seek medical attention first thing this morning. Thank God it was nothing major and just a form of acid reflux.
            I know I mentioned in my previous post how came from that expensive store Sunday, but I was in desperate need for some milk. I promised myself I would never buy anything from that tiny grocery store on 130th Street and Amsterdam because I had issues with my food expiring way before the expiration date.  Personally, I think the store illegally puts the incorrect dates on their items. Even though it’s convenient to shop there because of the walking distance, I dreaded entering to the petrified smell of raw meats and mold that welcomes you at the door. Sanitation is a major factor when I’m spending my money on good food. Therefore, I go the extra mile to catch the train to Whole Foods where I know everything is fresh and organic. As I grabbed my little buggy and glided towards the produce aisle, I had a strange feeling like I needed to verify my checking account. So I whipped out my phone, looked for my banking app, and checked my balance.  I anxiously pound in my account information on the keypad while pacing around in circles, and paused to hear the most disturbing news ever. “Your checking account has an available balance of $0.00,” said the Automatic Operator. My heart dropped and my eyes begin to water because I tried my best to avoid a situation like this.  Living in New York is extremely different from the South, with just the cost of living alone.  Deep down inside I wanted to put some things back as I looked in my cart I realized everything I had was necessity. Luckily, I have an emergency savings account. I instantly transferred my funds, headed to the register and made my way back home. 
            As I carried my two Whole Food’s bags up the hill from the station, I reflected on the true meaning of the word "struggle". It’s no joke! My mother raised me to be a strong woman and watching her deal with the challenges of life lets me know that I can overcome anything.  I try not to get emotional while I’m sitting here typing this blog but for some reason I’ve got so much more to be thankful for and I understand one day everything will pay off. “Life can bring us through many changes just don't give up It’s gonna be alright,” are the soulful words of Ledisi, which came from my Pandora station.
           That’s exactly what I needed to hear.
           
-Demeshia Jackson

No comments:

Post a Comment