Saturday, July 14, 2012

Enjoying The Day Off



              I think today was one of my best days in New York, besides Aleisha’s surprise birthday party at Katra Lounge.  The Reid Group and I had our first “official” Saturday off to go and explore the city. Initially, we were supposed to begin our news packages but there was a mishap with the camera equipment.  So around 1:30 p.m. we were notified through an email from Ms. Reid to enjoy our day off.  At first I was concerned that something serious might have happened because Saturdays for the Reid Group are one of our most productive days out the week.
            Everybody in the group decided to split up and fulfill their plans of site seeing.  Aleisha Hull, Lauren Morton, Chivone Smith and I made our way to New York’s most popular tourist attraction, Coney Island. We were extremely excited like a bunch of children on the last day of school.  I’ve never heard of Coney Island before, until other members of the group went on the 4th and talked about how amazing the ambiance was.  From the sanded beach, amusement park, and the home of the original Nathan’s Hotdog, I knew I was in for a treat. Despite the 1-hour long train to Coney Island, I was eager to take pleasure in all of the festivities provided, but first I wanted my famous hotdog from Nathans.  There were crowded lines with over 100 people waiting to get a hotdog. The menu had a variety of items to choose from such as, seafood, burgers, and chicken. Personally, I’m not a hotdog person, but I was determined to give Nathans a try since they are world famous.  I placed my order for two hotdogs, an original one and chili cheese. Oh my goodness, the calories that I consumed was unimaginable, but the was totally worth it.  My hotdog was perfect, simple, and delicious.  The beef hotdog had the right amount of char from the grill; the chili-cheese wasn’t over bearing, and was complimented by a toasted bun. Nathans received to thumbs up in my culinary book!
            We walked around Coney, and admired the beautiful beach; it was such a peaceful experience as the breeze cooled us down from the hot sun.  This day off was totally worth it from the hard work I’ve accomplished this week. I was desperate for some relaxation time to reflect on how much I’ve grown throughout this internship and now it’s quickly coming to an end.
            There’s always a bittersweet moment in every situation, when you realize its time to close one chapter in life in order to start a new beginning. 

-Demeshia Jackson

No comments:

Post a Comment